Saturday, January 31, 2015

The Plan!

Talk about not having my "ducks" in order .... I don't know how I missed this one .. actually wrote it; then forgot to post it?  Again, it has to be the Ohio winter.  Stay with me,  I'll get better. LOL


One would think that you should have your plan in play before you actually start your project.  I had a sort of plan in my head, but didn't have it quite worked out.  I was in such a hurry to get at least one of my Loyal Union Blocks made, that I hadn't worked out my "plan" of attack.

Before I picked another block to do, I had to get "my plan" laid out. So,  I constructed a diagram with block numbers of all the blocks I need to do, and printed out the block numbers and organized them on my "design wall". I left  enough room  between blocks to hang the finished 6" block under their corresponding block numbers. This is important because I want to make sure all the fabrics in the blocks can "play" well together.  Also to make sure that I am not making the same color choices of  "touching blocks.

That done .... how do I pick what block I need to do?  I have this weird mind that wants to make it some kind of game.  What better way than to put each block number on a piece of paper ... then draw to see what block number will be the one I make.  You have to have a little fun in what you do, I think!!

My second block to make will be block K-6.  It is called the Windmill Block, probably because it looks like a windmill.  I don't know for sure, since I have not read The Loyal Union Sampler from Elm Creek Quilts, written by Jennifer Chiaverini; but, I am thinking maybe these blocks play a role in this book?  I'll keep my mind open for hints to this.  LOL

Here is my design wall ....



I have my first finished block done, I-3, and hung on the wall.  This K-6 block hangs just to the right of it in the row below.  I figured I would just attach my blocks alphabetically as they are listed in the book.  My hope is to show my design wall and placement of blocks as I do them.  To the left is my envelope with the block numbers that I will draw from.  I promise, I will not cheat and put back a block number that I don't want at the moment.  Pinky swear.... LOL

I guess we are having the calm before the winter storm right now here in sunny and cold  Northern Ohio.  Probably would be a great time to pick my fabrics for block K-6,  and maybe get them cut out.  Who knows, maybe I will even get it sewn!!

Check out my other blog.  http://SerendipityinQuilting.blogspot.com/ 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment